Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
If you experience a fire, smoke or soot issue in Edmonds, WA we urge your primary focus to be safety above all. At SERVPRO of Edmonds we are Here to Help you navigate tough situations. Fires can be devastating, emotional and overwhelming but we hope you take the following tips into consideration to protect yourself and the people around you. Following a fire you may be unsure of what precautions to take, but the best thing you can do is rely on the professionals at your local fire department and your restoration experts at SERVPRO of Edmonds. If you have questions about what steps to take reach out via phone, email or through our website, we are available 24/7 365 days a year for all of your emergencies.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (425) 775-5723
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.