Spring Storm Preparedness
April showers bring May flowers… and sometimes spring storms!
From thunderstorms to high winds and flooding storms can create tremendous property damage. Hailstorms alone cause almost $1 billion in property damage each year, according to the Insurance Information Institute. Prepare your home for spring storms ahead of time to minimize property damage and protect your family. Call SERVPRO of Edmonds (425-775-5723) for disaster preparedness information, shut-off tags or if you would like an Emergency Ready Plan written for your business.
Here are some tips to keep in mind for your home or business;
- Prune dead or rotting branches from trees near your home or car that could fall during a storm.
- Use surge protectors for electronic equipment in your home such as computers, televisions and appliances.
- Install a lightning protection system that will redirect lightning strikes safely into the ground.
- Know how to shut off the power to your house using the main fuse or breaker on the electrical service panel, and how to shut off water and gas support lines if instructed by disaster officials.
- Educate yourself about flood insurance and if this is something covered under your insurance policy
- Check the condition of your roof and make any needed repairs to minimize damage in a storm.
- Clean gutters and downspouts so water will be diverted away from the siding of your home
- Tie down or bring inside anything that could be blown around such as trash cans or outdoor furniture.
- Unplug expensive electronic equipment in case of a power surge